Barks's oil paintings (Re: Per)

Harry Fluks harry at athena
Fri Aug 28 09:51:42 CEST 1992

On Per's comments on my Barks painting list:

> > Explanation of the columns:
> > Nr:
> >    number, just telling the order in which Barks made the paintings.
>
> So this is not the "plate number" in the oil painting book?  I think
> it would be easier to identify some of the paintings if you gave those
> numbers, as they are sometimes referred to.

I don't know. I copied the number from the index in the book, but I can't
remember if the book was giving the paintings other numbers as well.
Barks gave the paintings numbers too (in the form 75/2, 75/3 etc.).

> [13 lithographs in list]
> (But they have made more, after that, haven't they?)

I read in a Gladstone comic that 'Return to Plain Awful' was the 13th painting
from 'Sailing the Spanish Main' on. So I filled in the gaps with paintings
I knew. I guess some of them must be placed after 'Plain Awful'.

> 12: P  The Ducks examine treasure under the sea.  Mermaids come from behind.
> (Or is that one the "no one will ever believe this" in your list?)
Yes, it is. I read (in the CBL, I think) that the painting was re-titled,
for the Japanese market. I can't remember why...

Thanks for the information. I will have to re-arrange my list:

133 = First National Bank of Cibola
134 = Trespassers will be ventilated
135 = No one will ever believe this / The makings of a fish story
136 = Return to Plain Awful
137 = Holiday in Duckburg
138 = (title unknown, about the Gilded Man)

(maybe 137/138 not in the right order)

You seem to know the 13 paintings you mentioned. So: what is the orientation
of 'Morgan' and 'Money Lake'?

Harry Fluks.