Rich's character list, Gladstone (and other) Indexes

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Dec 1 19:47:00 CET 1992

On Fri, 27 Nov 1992, I got 4 messages from Torsten Wesley Adair. I think
I'll just respond to the last one.

> On 24 Nov 1992, I, Harry Fluks wrote:
> > 2. Gladstone Index
> > There has been some interest in compiling a Gladstone index, or even a
> > Complete Disney Comics Index (CDCI, Per's dream)...
> > Maybe some information of this index could be used in making a Gladstone
> > Index, or a CDCI (my dream too).
> > Anyway, when my BDI is finished, I think I could help making a Gladstone
> > index. But we still have to agree on the form of such an index (e.g. how
> > to indicate the artists).
> > Per, Hannes, other volunteers: how do we do this?
> > --Harry.
>
> If you are going to make an index of Disney stories, I suggest that a
> paragraph be written for each story.

I was thinking of a _line_ for each story, to start with. We already have some
Gladstone comics lists:

- a Digest list, by Per Starback,
- a Dutch (H-coded) list, by Per Starback,
- a Rosa list, by Tore Urnes, me and Per Starback,
- a Barks list, by Hannes Faestermann, me and Per Starback.

I was thinking of a layout, similar to those lists.
And I was thinking of a Gladstone list, so some of the entries mentioned
in your letter are not applicable (yet).

> The paragraph should include:
> 	Control number (same for each language version?)

Is this the story code? If so, it should be the same for each language
version.

> 	Title (enter the version you have, and transcribe it into English.
>  		Remember to put the title in [brackets] if you have to
> 		create one, and put the language identifier in (parenthesis).
>   		As other people contribute foreign titles, they can be added.

I prefer a title or description flagged with:
  T: exact title (heroes abbreviated like DD, MM, US etc.)
  D: description from the comic's contents page
  O: own description

Using () or [] or {} is confusing, especially if you want to list titles
with () in them.

I think some stories have a T:/D: and an O: as well, when the T:/D: is not
clear enough to recognize the story.

> 	Writer
> 	Artist(s)
> 		If not known, put in parenthesis who the contributor is
> 		thought to be.  Add notes if necessary.

I think a question mark after the artist will do.

> 	Issue(s) the story has appeared in.
>		List the title of the magazine in the original language,
>		with the issue number and the date after it.  List the number
>		of pages,
>		and put in parenthesis the country (not the
> 		language) where the issue was published.  Add a note if the
>		country publishes in more than one language (like Canada).

How much work do you think a complete list would cost this way?

> 	Characters
> 		List any significant characters (use abbreviations for
> 		popular characters... MdS, US, DD, GyG, HDL, BB, GlG).
> 		Use American names, and include an appendix that crosslists
> 		foreign names.  If a new character appears in a foreign
> 		(non-U.S.) edition, list the name and make a note of his/her/its
> 		apperance and character.

I think only a note about characters is necessary when the character is not
a usual character in stories of the main character, e.g. Dumbo appearing in
a Grandma Duck story.

> 	Synopsis
> 		Tell, in two or three sentences, what happens in the story.

Do you know how much rubbish Disney stories there are? It would be absolutely
no fun to re-tell those stories in 3 sentences. And you can't just describe
the 'good' stories, because an index should not be subjective (exp?)...

> (...)
> These are suggestions.

Thank you. They can be useful when we decide to realize Per's Dream (the
Complete Disney Comics Index), but I think we don't need all this for a
Gladstone index.

I try to start the Gladstone list this week. I'll make my own lay-out, and
you (all) can see if you like it. After all, changing the lay-out is not a
big deal on a computer.

> I look forward to your index!
>
> Torsten at Omaha
> Torsten at Omaha