Creator information. Indices.

Per Starb\dck starback at csd.uu.se
Tue Dec 8 14:30:09 CET 1992

Sources of creator information
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torsten:
> As far as creative personnel are concerned, have you checked Overstreet's
> Comic Book Price Guide.

I don't think Overstreet has any special sources that aren't available
to us as well.  The information on artists comes mostly from readers
who have sent in that information to Overstreet.  I've seen Don Rosa
complain about how haphazard that information is.  Sometimes the entry
for Funny Comics #17 says that John Doe made the art for that, just
because someone with that book sent that information in, when in fact
John Doe did the art for *all* issues of Funny Comics.  (Sorry, I have
no real-world example.  Maybe it's not true about Disney comics.)

> This title should be in every collector's library!
> (...)
> Every year, Overstreet concentrates on a specific subject, which is
> featured on the cover.  In 1987, Snow White and Disney Comics were
> featured.

That's the very edition I have.  One year (1976?) Carl Barks was
featured (with a Porky Pig cover by Barks I think).  I wish I had that
one as well, but it's probably expensive...

> Does the Disney Archive in California contain information
> about Dell and Gold Key comic books?

I don't think they know much about the comic books there, though I
might be wrong.

The Gladstone Index
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry:
> That [always indicating the writer] is a good idea. I thought of
> that, but I thought it was too much typing work...

Not much extra, and we want that information, right?

Another index
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great news!  I just spoke to fellow Swedish Donaldist Kjell Crone, and
he'll send me his Disney indices later this week so I can make them
available.  They list most of the old Disney comics, story by story, a
lot like Becattini's index.  (He hasn't done WDC yet though.)  There's
information on Swedish printings of the stories as well, for those who
are interested.

Just a thought...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry:
> [...]  <example: "Is Superman really dead?">

Maybe that DC trick would be something for Disney.  They could kill
off Scrooge in a special collector's item book, and then a few months
later maybe Magica could find some way to revive him.  Maybe he has
hid his first dime so well she can't find it, so she needs him to show
the way there, or whatever.  Whaddya think?

No, I'm not serious! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: Per.Starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"