My Favorite Artists

Per Starb{ck starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Fri Nov 20 01:02:58 CET 1992

Jamal Hannah wrote:
> Well, I like Barks and Don Rosa as much as anyone, but are there any
> other fans of Al Hubbard out there?  I really liked the way he drew
> animals of all kinds in "Scamp" (Along with the reprinted
> "Lady and the Tramp" comic, which seemed to have better, less-
> rushed work than the later Scamp comics did.)

Yeah, I like Al Hubbard a lot!  The looseness of his lines, and the
expressiveness of his characters.  All his dogs and cats are so damn
cute too.  I generally dislike speculative cuteness, but Hubbard makes
them in such a way that I just can't help loving them. :-)

He has done many adaptions of the animated features, not only Lady and
the Tramp, but also e.g., Dumbo, Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, and
Aristocats.  He has also done Mickey, Chip & Dale, the ducks, Li'l Bad
Wolf, etc.

> I also liked the work of the artist who did "Little Bad Wolf"
> for a while.. there seem to be two prominant artists.. one who
> did the very early stuff, (the 1st Lil' Bad Wolf stories) and
> than another who did a great bulk of the latter ones.

The very early stuff was by Carl Buettner, who worked at Western
mostly as an editor or art director or something like that, but who
also did some stories himself.

The later artist you mention must be Gil Turner, even if lots of other
artists also did some wolf stories (Jack Bradbury, Paul Murry, Harvey
Eisenberg, Al Hubbard, Frank McSavage, ...)
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: Per.Starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"