Gladstone Index?

Per Starb{ck starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Mon Sep 7 10:46:40 CEST 1992

Lars Petrus wrote:
>   I have most of the Gladstone magazines, but I never read them. That is
>because whenever I remember something wonderful never know *which* magazine
>it is.
>
>   The obvoius solution would be if there is an index for them - is there?

I let this pass first, as I thought someone else might answer, e.g.,
Hannes, who's made a list of Barks in Gladstone comics, that looks
like this:

>US215	A Cold Bargain(26.75)
>	'Quarter on the hillside'(1)
>	'Tepee gag'(1)

That is for every Gladstone book it lists the stories with title and
number of pages.

There's also a Gladstone Barks index in The Barks Collector #42, with
two parts.  First sorted by Gladstone book, like this:

> Ducktales  13        The Nose Knows (Gyro-gag-art)         GGOS 1184
>                      A Spicy Tale                          US 39
>                      Pin-Up (inventor Gyro)                GGOS 1047

and then sorted by the original source, like this:

> MOC 4                Maharajah Donald                      DD 279
>                      The Peaceful Hills                    DDA 4

but that one is not available in computer-readable form.  But that's
only Barks of course --- a total Gladstone index would be nice to
have, but I don't know of any.  How about making one as a joint
effort?  People could tell the list "I'm doing Mickey Mouse #219-240"
(as an example) before they start on it, to avoid doing the same thing
as someone else.  We also need to decide on a common format.  I'd like
something that is

 o Easily machine-readable so that one can write programs to make
interesting searches in it or to present it in another form.

 o But still human-readable without conversion.

 o Flexible, so that one can insert new information later on that we
didn't think would be there earlier.

Maybe just something like tag1:value1 tag2:value2 ...?

Any opinions?
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"