Scrooge's life, money, and bin

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Fri Aug 13 00:51:55 CEST 1993

On Thu, 12 Aug 1993, Per Starback wrote:
> Yes, it's very hard to measure how much it all is worth.  I guess the
> only way would be if he turned everything he had into silver dollars
> and put it all in a pile.  Hey, I just thought of something!  We're
> lucky, he *has* done that.  All we have to do is to look closely at US
> 27 and estimate how many coins there are in his pile there.  (I don't
> remember if I've seen someone do that, but I guess someone has.)

*** plot revelation *** read at your discretion ***

I seem to recall a story where Donald raced Scrooge to the top of a
mountain.  Donald did it the hard way, by climbing up the mountain, while
Scrooge simply piled coins along the vertical face of the mountain and
built a staircase!  Now, assuming he used only one type of coin, and used
a constant slope, how much would this staircase be worth?

*** end plot revelation ***

> Of course that is one of those stories that make it a bit strange
> that there are old coins about that Scrooge remember exactly when he
> earned.  Presumably he took care to get the same coins and bills back
> afterwards.  (Another one is where he exchanged all his money into
> greenbacks.)
>
> Torsten:
> > I think we should all view Scrooge's money bin as a very large
> > piggy bank, a place for Scrooge to toss his petty cash, in case he needs
> > to (gasp!) buy something, or if he ever gets the desire to frolic in his
> > wealth.
>
> Primarily to frolic in it.  "What's the use of having money, if I
> can't have *fun* with it!" as he said in "Only a Poor Old Man".
>
> > He built it in the early 1900s?  So much for the possibility that he lined
> > the bottom of the vault with old comic books...
>
> I doubt Scrooge is interested in comics at all...

Oh, I realize that.  His disdain for speculators and collectors of objects
is well known.  I just thought he might have used them as insulation.

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA