Grandma Duck

Fredrik Ekman d91fe at lalle.pt.hk-r.se
Mon Dec 6 15:17:49 CET 1993

Juuso Paaso wrote:

>   Dear Don,
>
>   [...]
>     So, could you tell me if one of those sisters really is Grandma Duck? Or
>   if either one of them is, then could you tell me what is the relation of
>   $crooge and Grandma?

Well, I'm not Don, but I think I can provide an answer to that anyway. I
have discussed this issue in some detail in previous posts. Perhaps this
is something for the forthcoming FAQ? (Is there indeed a forthcoming FAQ?)

There are two man theories regarding Grandma:

1) She is Donald's grandma and, thus, cannot be Scrooge's sister. In fact
she is not related to Scrooge at all. Carl Barks and Don Rosa have both
adpoted this version.

2) She is Hewey, Dewey and Louie's grandma and Scrooge's sister. This
seems to be the position mainly of many Italian writers.

What we don't know yet is what Taliaferro (who created Grandma) thought.
I have previously claimed that he created her as Donald's grandma, but
Per says the opposite. None of us has yet been able to prove his point.

This is really not an answer to the question. I guess there is no perfect
answer.

  /F