Disney-comics digest #180.

Lars Lundheim LARS at ELEKTRO.TIH.NO
Fri Dec 10 14:22:53 CET 1993

David:

>     Egmont is *VERY* serious about changing MM in their comics
> now.  They are trying to get away from the older Danish stories and
> into Gottfredson-like ones.  Right now they're slowly easing Mickey
> from his long pants back to short ones -- they MAY have to stop if
> their publishers in many countries object.  My story will be the
> second where he has the shorts...  If they can get him into his
> shorts, the next goal is to get rid of his shirt...

What about Mickey's eyes? Is there any hope of getting back the
"button-eyes" of the thirties? A Mickey with shorts, whithout shirt,
and with "modern" eyes, seemes to me as a strange mix of styles. But
who knows, maybe it will look ok.

Don:

>     But once again, someone here is talking about Duck fans having
> negative reactions to my work. As I said before, I can easilly
> understand that -- but I never see these remarks. Where are they said or
> published? I could perhaps benefit from criticism, but not if I never
> see it myself. Where did you see these comments?

The opinion was stated orally, three or four years ago, by a friend
of mine, who is himself a skilled drawer (and perfectionist). I can't
recall having seen (or heard) that kind of criticisim in public.

One quality which makes your art stand out from for instance Vicar's,
is a kind of unpolishedness (I can't find a better expression just
now). It's almost like comparing a performance by a blues artist from
the Mississippi delta, with no formal training in singing or guitar
playing, with a James Last muzac-like recording of the same tune. The
former is maybe not technically perfect, the latter lacks a
deeper understanding of what blues is. Perhaps Vicar is the
technically more skilled artist, but his stories don't contain the
right "feeling" (again it's difficult to find the right word).

All for now

Lars

Lars Lundheim,                          Phone: +47-7-896284
Trondheim College of Engineering,       Fax:   +47-7-896286
Department of Electrical Engineering    e-mail: lars at elektro.tih.no
N-7005 Trondheim
NORWAY