Don's Drawings and Fan Critique

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Mon Dec 13 09:44:11 CET 1993

SPOILER!SPOILER!SPOILER!SPOILER!SPOILER!SPOILER!SPOILER!SPOILER!

Don:

    You said the other day that for Lo$ you "hadn't used your clipfiles at
all"; but that cannot be quite true, can it? I mean, in one of the Klondike
chapters (part 9, I think) you are using what to me seems copied poses of
$crooge paying back his debt to Soapy Slick from the Barks "Jolt Magazine
Interview Story" (I can't remember it's title off-hand). I DON'T mean to say
that this is wrong in any way, or anything at all like that, but only that it
seems contradictory to what you told Lars Reichstein last week. And there are
other such "reference frames" throughout the Lo$ as I seem to remember: the
"Ya! Tightwad"-frame from "Only A Poor Old Man", $crooge prospecting for copper
from that story too, and others as well I think. Nothing that bothers me in any
way, not at all, just that... well. I AM a bureacrat, you know...!

And about criticism amongst donaldists, I, too, have occasionally come across
duck-fans who don't like your style or your drawings - a friend of mine here in
Lund f'rinstance, NAFS(k)-member Hanna Peterson, has said that she thinks using
templates is "cheating"...! And among fandom in general there has occasionally
been view-points like "stiff" or "too undergroundy", but these are the few
dissenting voices - I have NEVER come across anything like a GENERAL antipathy
towards your work, but rather the opposite: most duck-fans I know really
appreciate what you're doing! Including, as you well know, your humble
undersigned

           Mattias