+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #184.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Wed Dec 15 07:39:27 CET 1993

DAVID:

	This "long" Donald Duck adventure from 1939 is to be in the 60th
Birthday issue. AND the Donald vs. Gladstone story you mentioned? AND my
16 pager? Since when does Gladstone publish comics that thick? Since
when does ANYONE these days publish comics that thick, other than
"graphic novels" (comic albums)? Is this 60th birthday issue to be an
album?

	And I am very curious as to what these 1937 & '39 Donald
adventures are like! So Barks wasn't the first to do Duck adventure
tales -- they were being done 10 years earlier? And I can't imagine what
sort of personality Donald might have in these 30's adventures since I
don't percieve Donald as HAVING a personality until Barks had dealt with
him for 5 or 10 years. Or does he just act like a cantankerous
adolescent which is all he was prior to Barks?

MATTIAS:

	No, I'm not copying again from my swipe file in order to be more
"like Barks". I've never tried to do anything more than produce comics
in the same spirit as Barks', not comics that look or feel just like
Barks'. And as time goes on and I hear from the people who can't accept
any Duck comics that don't look like Barks himself has done them, I get
"het up" and want to say, "I'm not Barks. I'm ME. I can only do ROSA
Ducks, not Barks Ducks. Sorry!" ...and after Barks' own attitude, I
realize I don't want to "be Barks" anyhow.
	But after the Danish article that said I didn't draw a
"recognizable" Donald, I decided I needed to relearn some Duck
proportions, and since I prefer Barks' Ducks to any other, I must
reteach myself using my Barks clip-file. I believe I'd been "humanizing"
my Ducks too much -- I wasn't stooping them over enough or giving them
big enough rear ends, among other problems.