What is "CL"

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Tue Dec 21 18:45:39 CET 1993

On Mon, 20 Dec 1993 15:37:11 +0100, Mattias Hallin wrote:

>"CL" must be the Official U.S. Postmaster General-approved postal abbreviation
>for the state "Calisota" where Duckburg is situated; see "The Gilded Man" and
>also our discussion (on the ftp) of about a month and a half ago!

Hmmm.... I'm not familiar with either the postal abbreviation, CL, or the
zip code, 93801.  However, the name Calisota is obviously an acronym
formed from California and Minnesota, so a more eqitable postal
abbreviation would use letters from both states (CS, for example...)  But
then, who said the post office was fair! :)

I more burning question that perhaps you more seasoned fans could help me
out is where is Calisota located?  It seems to me that it should be
located somewhere between California and Minnesota.  It appears to be
located both near an ocean, a desert, and a mountain range.  The 98301 zip
would sounds *very* West Coast to me!  The weather patterns seem very
stange too...  For virtually eleven months of the year it is hot and
sunny, then one month (December or January) it is cold and covered with
deep snow!  I have looked intensly at maps of the US, but have never
seen the state of Calisota even listed in the index.   Perhaps, like
Lake Woebegon, it is there somewhere but just doesn't show up on the
map due to a geographical survey error?  (Perhaps it just "ducked" out
to avoid all the tourists?)

DON ROSA:

>	Actually, I was just looking for something to respond to
>tonight, and yours was the only message here (except for something from
>Mattias about "what is CL?", but I think somebody just spiked his
>eggnog).

And I thought it was a very serious and important matter! :)

>	the guy who played Ebenezer Scrooge in MICKEY'S XMAS CAROL was
>no more the real $crooge McDuck as was the guy on DUCKTALES. It was the
>Disney Corporation's usual misuse of that Dell/Barks character.

So $crooge *did* play himself in DUCKTALES after all.  Actually, I'm going
to stick my neck out here (chop!) and say that I enjoyed DUCKTALES,  (At
least the first years episodes...)  Of course it wasn't the $crooge we
know, but I think it was one in a parallel universe.  I always got a laugh
out of how they made fun of Donald's voice when he made his rare
appearances. ("What did he say?")  I won't even watch old DD cartoons any
more partly because of that awful voice they gave Don, and partly because
of the violence.

ARVID:

Hello to the 69th parallel from the 45th parallel.  Even though we are a
lot farther South, being in the center of the continent it gets very cold
here in the Winter.  (-30F / -35C)

While I have a Norwegian name, I've never been to Norway.  My grandparents
were born there and came to the United States in the early 1900's.  I hope
someday to visit their homeland.

Tryg Helseth <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes