+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #191.

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Thu Dec 23 10:53:59 CET 1993

On 22 Dec 93 00:00:43 EST, Don Rosa wrote:

>	Where is Duckburg and-slash-or Calisota? We've discussed this
>before you popped in.

Oops!  I better drop back to lurk mode until I've read all those back-
issue digests.  Could anyone tell me what compression method is used on
those .gz files?  I ftp'ed one, but don't know how to uncompress it.

>I was compelled to show EXACTLY where Calisota and Duckburg are, but only
>if someone goes to the extra trouble of comparing my map with an actual
>map of the coastline of the western USA.  That'll be in chapter 10 which
>you'll see in nearly TWO YEARS but which will be used in Europe any day now.

Thanks for the info.  I hope Gladstone will still be publishing the Disney
comics two years from now.  Seems like a long wait, but then, I've waited
all these years already... :)

Harry:

>Which brings me to the next question: who invented Grandma's car? Was it in
>the Taliaferro strips as well?

I don't know who invented it, but it must have had the longest extension
cord in Duckburg!  Do you remember any episodes showing batteries in
the car (or Grandma plugging it in to re-charge)?

Torsten:

> >I won't even watch old DD cartoons any more partly because of the
> >violence.

>But that's what cartoons are all about!  Physical comedy!  My favorite
>cartoon is where Donald goes to the Andes, and has a battle of wills with
>a llama!  And Goofy!  What a stuntman!

I agree that cartoons are about physical comedy, and when the studios strive
for total realism that the whole idea is lost.  As for DD, however, I find
the slapstick episodes to be rather mean spirited.  Ditto for Chip 'n' Dale.
Yet, I enjoy the Fleischer studio's Popeye even though it depicts violence
in the battles between Popeye and Bluto.  To me that violence isn't quite
as senseless, as the characters are usually fighting for some purpose or
goal (Olive Oyl, for example) rather than just out of meanness.
Tryg Heseth  <tryve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>

"I wish the all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes