Comic Book Confidential

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Mon Dec 27 15:20:29 CET 1993

Hello All:

Last night I watched a documentry on television titled "Comic Book
Confidential."  I had never seen it before, but I think the copyright date
was 1988.  Anyhow, it was a brief history of comic books in the US
featuring artists, writers, publishers, etc.  In this 1-1/2 program,
however, not a word was said about Disney comics. (They did pan over some
comic book covers and Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold was there, but...)

I began to wonder about the fate of Disney comics in the US.  Since Disney
gave the publication rights back to Gladstone, I assume they didn't find it
profitable enough.  While kids under 10 may read them, older kids don't.
On a recent visit to a local comic book store I watched two kids (about 12
years of age, I would guess) pawing thorugh a box of old comics.  They came
across some classic funny animal comics (including Dinsey) and one kid
remarked "there's nothing in here but silly stuff!"  (And here I thought
costumed super-heros looked silly... <g> )

How well do Disney comics sell in Europe?  I get the impression that they
are much more popular there.  The fact that this mail list originates out
of Sweden is a good indicator of that.

Torsten posted some stats about Gladstone here a few weeks back.  If I
remember right, they showed a slight increase in Gladstone sales toward the
end of the year, but it was still less than 1/2 a percent of the market.  Is
that good or bad?

Tryg

Tryg Heseth  <tryve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>

"I wish the all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes