American comic readers

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Wed Dec 29 04:39:15 CET 1993

HATHAWAY at stsci.edu (Wm. Hataway) writes:

>I do have a problem with turning on my god-children to Disney Comics -
>I can't afford two subscriptions and I'd be afraid of my set being
>mangled or lost if I gave it to them to read.  (No one ever prizes
>ones possessions the way an owner does - particularly so with mothers
>and comics - 'throw it away' seems to be in their nature.)  That long period
>of missing publication gave me fear of famine of never seeing the stories
>again.  They are reaching the age of being careful though, so maybe I can
>chance it before they 'learn to outgrow' them.

One of the best things I ever did was to get my kid brother, who just
turned 10, a subscription to all of the Gladstones.  Granted, it's a
tad expensive, but it is money extremely well spent.  If I were in
dire financial straits and couldn't afford copies for him, I'd give
him *mine* after I'd read them.

Sure, they'ld get mangled, torn, stepped on, drawn on, spindilated
and muteled, but those comics would be cherished and re-read many
times - just the way that comics *should* be read.  I know that my
brother will love those stories for the rest of his life.  I'd be
perfectly willing to sacrifice my Gladstones for that.

(Fortunately, I don't have to :-) - He'll probably end up inheriting
 *my* collection!  "Hey - I remember *that* story...")