Darkest Africa + Yet Another New Rosa + A Barks interview

Per Starb\dck starback at csd.uu.se
Wed Jan 13 00:45:36 CET 1993

Harry Fluks wrote:
> Where do these photocopies [of Barks's story "Darkest Africa"] come
> from? Are they published somewhere? Or are you the 'Scandinavian
> Barks fan' that delivered these copies to the Dutch editor in the
> first place? 8-)

I think I bought mine from Comico, a mail-order firm in Sweden that
sold Disney comics.  Besides new and old books and magazines they also
sold photocopies of some (then) really rare Barks stories, like
"Christmas Carol", the Milkman story, "Darkest Africa", "The Firebug",
the "unpublished" pages of "Trick Or Treat" and "Back to Klondike" and
maybe one or two things besides that.  (I guess they didn't have any
right to do that, but I didn't mind.  It's almost ten years ago btw.)

I guess the copies the Dutch editor got came from the same copy of the
original comic book with "Darkest Africa", but I don't know.

>>  "I vill rebort you to der United Nations!"
> Does a "Brofessor from Rotterdam" really sound like this, in your non-Dutch
> ears?

I don't think I've listened to many brofessors from Rotterdam, so I
really wouldn't know.  The quoted one was a fake anyhow, as you know.
(For you who haven't read it: of course the quote was from that very
story, "Darkest Africa".)

Since I'm writing to the list anyway I might mention that the current
issue of the Scandinavian Disney books contains part four of Don
Rosa's "Life of Scrooge" series, "The King of the Copper Hill".  This
is about the days that Scrooge told the boys of in Barks's "Only a
Poor Old Man" (1952):

  "And this dollar---1882!  I got that in Montana where I punched cows
   while I looked for a homestead!  The other Waddies laughed at me
   when I filed on a claim that was all mountains and rocks!  But I'd
   poked around, and I knew that under that scrubby grass was
   one-third of the world's known *copper!*"

And still another thing.  When I mentioned news from The Duckburg
Times I forgot to mention that it mentions that Panels #2 is still in
print.  $6 (plus $3 postage/handling) from: John Benson 205 W. 80th
Street #2B New York NY 10024.  Maybe someone is interested?  It is a
comics fanzine from 1981 which contains an interview with Carl Barks
(by Edward Summer) with plenty of illustrations, including some old
risque cartoons from The Calgary Eye-Opener and the then-new
watercolours called "Famous Figures of History as They Might Have
Looked Had Their Genes Gotten Mixed Up with Waterfowl", including
"Long, Ben, Arch Pirate" (cover), "Hiawatha" and "Buffalo Bill Cooty",
all in colour.  A bit expensive though (cover price was $2.95).
Non-Disney contents: Jesse Marsh remembered by Alex Toth; Harvvey
Kurtzman's war tales analyzed.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Them was the days when drawing was *fun!*, eh?"