Barney Bear and Benny Donkey

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Fri Jun 4 09:42:17 CEST 1993

David wrote:
> 	I'm not sure if you know this, but there are ENGLISH reprints
> available of ALL of Barks' non-Disney work.
>
> 	"The Barks Bear Book" was published about twelve years ago.  It's a
> paperback with a cover price of $40.  I have never seen it going for more
> than that;  frequently, I've seen comic shops selling it for less!

I know the Barks Bear book. Two years ago, there were only *two* copies
left in any comic shop in Holland (and I've visited them all - Holland is a
small country). They were very expensive though (about twice the original
price). When my Dutch friend Daniel wanted to buy one of them, someone in the
shop at that moment was attended to the book and bought the other one! If I
hadn't been in doubt because of the price, the other one would have been mine!

So maybe I have to visit some comic shops outside Holland...

> The stories inside seem to be Xeroxed from the original comics;  they aren't
> black-and-white.  However, for Xeroxes of that kind, they are superb, because
> the colors have picked up as unblemished (for the most part) gray tones and
> so the pages resulting do look pretty good.

I wasn't impressed by the quality of the reprints. I prefer either B&W or
full colour (BTW: I didn't like Harvey's colours either).

> 	Here's what Harvey printed:
(...)

I sent a list to this mailing list a while ago with about the same information
(but wondering why they retranslated Happy Hound with Hugo Hound).
And apparently, I missed some issues, because I have never seen a Benny
Donkey. I *do* have Tom and Jerry #4 (but maybe it's T&J _and friends_, I
always mix up those comic titles...)

I could add that some of the published stories are reprinted again in issues
of Tom and Jerry Digest.

And one last remark: the 'Bear Book' contains all Barks' non-Disney
ARTwork, but Barks also did 3 SCRIPTS of Droopy in the early 50s. They are not
in the book.

--Harry.