Digest #42

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Thu Jun 17 15:34:52 CEST 1993

COMMENT ON #41:

	Harry F. -- the excuse you got from the nice folks at Oberon doesn't make 100% sense to me. If they KNEW it was part 3, why did they
still put it into the schedule when there is SO MANY OTHER Duck stories they could have used instead? Sounds like they didn't realize
it until too late, or that the idea of a set of Duck stories that need to be told in a certain sequence is such a totally new concept
to a Disney publisher that they just didn't know how to deal with it (though it doesn't seem like it would take much finesse).
	I wish I could know how their use of the Sneekah Peak story works out ("Fortune on the Rocks"). That was one I did before the concept
that my stuff was being seen in Europe far more than in America had really sunk into my skull -- and that story is jammed with
untranslatable puns. It must be murder to translate since so many scenes are built around exchanges of dialogue that culminate in
a pun and nothing else. Whew!
	How did I know there were no credits or explanations given in the Dutch use of that "Pied Piper" story? I may not be able to read
Dutch, but I can read "ROSA" or even "BARKS" when I see it. If there had been an explanation in the comic, I would have seen those
two names surrounded by wild European gibberish, right? Or is your friend at Oberon saying that the credits were stuck in some other
section of the comic, and I missed them? That's possible. I have a copy -- I'll look again.
	What is "RBCC"? The ROCKET'S BLAST COMICOLLECTOR... it was the focal point of American comics fandom up until about 1977. It was the
main ad and article magazine that everyone read -- like a combo of CBG and COMICS JOURNAL or something.
Oh, and I wrote the RBCC "Information Center" and did comic stories with my own characters which I now am slowly turning into Duck
stories, one by one, same plot - scenes- etc.

	W.Hathaway -- I didn't understand your comments about difficulties that you say I claim to have with Duck people. What was it I said?
 I can't place what you might be referring to.

	Tom Galloway -- As you see, I've known that Barks dislikes my work for many years. But how did that "dealer in Atlanta" know that?
Did Barks tell him himself?!

	Finally, to anyone interested in that piece of my work in the Sotheby's auction: as you surely know, it wasn't "1970's"! It was
done in mid 1986.