Freddy Milton -- The Big Sneeze

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Mon Jun 21 01:37:02 CEST 1993

David wrote:
> Reportedly, Fred Milton did some long Duck story for Oberon in the
> '70s, then found out it was going to be published as a regular comic
> rather than an album (or vice versa), so withdrew it, hid (or
> destroyed?) the original art, then redid the story with his own
> freshly-invented anthropomorphic GEESE and had it published by someone
> else!!!!

I think that you're thinking about "The Big Sneeze", and I think the
story is more like this:

FM made this as a 32-page Donald story in the 70s and tried
unsuccessfully to sell it to Gutenberghus (= Egmont) in Denmark.  When
he couldn't sell it he remade it as a story with new characters and it
was published (with 30 pages) as "Kalle Klodrik i Det Store Nys" in
Denmark in 1976.  But evidently FM really wanted it as a Donald story
and kept trying to sell it--a rejection letter from Western dated
January 1980 is published in the German book _Disney von Innen_ in the
chapter on FM.  Then at last he managed to sell it to Oberon in
Holland and it was published as a 31-page Donald story in 1980.  I
haven't seen it, but Harry has said that it's very good.  The code is
H 8001 in case anyone wants to suggest the story for Gladstone.

David again:
> One of the stories in that [Harvey Comics' Woody Woodpecker Giant
> Size #1], "Danger at Sea," is by Milton and is the only Milton Woody
> to see print here.

Oops, we're off to non-Disney-stuff, but anyhow:  What story is that?
The story I have in Swedish called approximately "Danger at Sea" is 10
pages and only a part of a loosely connected story which involving a
sneezing dragon.  Is this yet another variant of The Big Sneeze??
--
Per