Digest #16

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Tue May 11 16:26:01 CEST 1993

COMMENTS ON DIGEST # whateveritwas:

	I browsed David Gerstein's info on Disney and Gladstone and spotted just a few errors.
	Gladstone's comics are not bimonthly to "test the waters". They will remain bimonthly. Hamilton feels that the comics will sell twice
as good if they are on the stands twice as long, and since Disney buyers are not the must-have-every-Thursday-by-3-PM fanatics that
the typical American comic book zombies are, he's probably right.
	There's nothing that will enhance Mickey's selling power. His unpopularity has been proven resoundingly for decades. Everyone has their
personal idea of how to make Mickey sellable, but decades of readers not wanting MM indicate it's a waste of time. The only reason that
Gladstone will publish ANY Mickey stories whatsoever is because the license with Disney demands same. They happily got out of having
to publish a solo MM title since even Disney was forced to realize that there was no hope in doing that, so they couldn't very well
demand that Gladstone do so.
	Also, missing from the list of all Disney Disneys was the DONALD & $CROOGE #1-3 which was sold only in packs at certain Walmarts.
Its contents were the same as the comic album of the same name, minus one short gagstory. And I, as always, dislke the term Gerstein
uses: GM as meaning "Graphic Novel". It was a COMIC ALBUM as are all such oversized comics. The term "graphic novel" is a contradiction
in terms created by people who somehow feel embarrassed to be reading comic books unless they have a fancier name. Feh.

	Other comments:
	Per, I did not FORGET that the air molecules would have been frozen in my "On Stolen Time" story; I chose to IGNORE the fact in order
to tell the tale. I later decided that saying something else other than time-freezing was going on would have solved that problem (
and not been so silly an idea).

	And I imagine those Dan Jippes/Carl Barks JW remakes will be used by Gladstone. Why not? Every Disney comic book story ever done
anywhere on the planet is available to them for their use at the same price... free.