Various replies

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Tue May 11 23:45:16 CEST 1993

Harry:
> Whatever happened to Volker Reiche? He once did some (6) stories for the
> Dutch in the early 80s, and I have seen some of is "Hamburger Donaldist"
> work. Is he still doing Disney comics? If not, why did he stop?

I don't know, and I'd too be interested in the answer.  He has done
some non-Disney comics with his own characters as well though, maybe
that's what he's up to nowadays?

Andreas:
> Is there a digest of Disney stories (date, artist, writer, story
> code, title, issues) somewhere around. Could anyone mail it to me ?

Standard answer: look at the ftp archive: ftp.lysator.liu.se,
directory pub/comics/disney.  Don't miss Harry's Dutch index in the
dutch/ subdirectory.

Anyone who doesn't know if they can use ftp to fetch files and how to
do it and can't find a local guru to tell them all about it, feel free
to ask me.

Don:
> Per, I did not FORGET that the air molecules would have been frozen in
> my "On Stolen Time" story; I chose to IGNORE the fact in order to tell
> the tale.

It wasn't me who thought there was anything strange about that.  I
didn't the shrink ray thing in Van Horn's story was strange either, as
I don't know much about how those things work anyway.  How would I
know if the carpet fibers ought to have become enlarged as well?

> Per: Don't forget about ME! I need copies of the Swedish comics with
> my stories in 'em, TOO! Nobody sends me those things! I sometimes
> get copies from a couple of very nice young Swedish fans, but they
> can hardly afford to be mailing me stuff overseas like that when
> Egmont or some older Duck fan could afford to much better!

When you before just asked about *Dutch* comics I guessed that
(Swedish translator) Stefan sent you his extras, but I guess not.
I'll try to find those extra copies of those books to send you.  What
do you already have? (Wouldn't surprise me if those youngsters have
more money than I do, though. :-)

Chris Lawton:
> This is my first post to the comic mailing list so I'll take a moment to
> introduce myself.

Good move!  Maybe that is something we all ought to do?

> Anyway, my question is: what is about the Ducks that make them so much more
> popular than all the others?

If we're talking comics the answer to that question is Carl Barks.
You wrote that you've always been a Disney fan, but that you recently
discovered comics, so then it's not strange if you didn't realize it,
but really it's as simple as that.

Here in Scandinavia it's almost universal that all kids read Disney
comics, so we are all grown up on it.  I find it hard to imagine how I
would have reacted to Barks's comics if I had seen them now for the
first time.

(~26 hours left to enter my quote quiz.)
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"