Digest #19

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Fri May 14 05:42:37 CEST 1993

Per:
	I don't have many replies or comments on the latest digest. I might mention that, yes, Disney comics licensees do pay a minimal fee
when they wish to reprint a story, the fee to cover the cost of the photostats shipped to them by the story's producer or archiver,
99% of the time which is Egmont. Not even Disney ever bothered to keep copies of the old comic stories since they had so little
concern for something as lowly as funnybooks; Dell and Egmont/Gutenberghus were the archivers. Anyway, you'll have to admit that
full permission to reprint somebody's work and profit from same and not have to pay anything but xerox costs is a pretty sweet deal!
That's the basis for the founding of Gladstone Comics! What other writers or artists on this planet are exploited the way Disney
freelancers are? Why are writers or creative folks in every other field of endeavor allowed their small percentage of profit from their
works, but not Disney freelancers? I'd like someone to tell me the answer to that someday.
	As for my "Frozen Time" story, if I froze time (!) I needed to freeze it solid, not semi-solid... otherwise it would have been WAY
too close to John D. MacDonald's short-story "The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything" (which was made into two TV movies some years
back). I had my idea before I learned of that novelette, but read it to see how close my idea was to MacDonald's tale. In his story,
objects could be moved slowly, and the moving through air was like moving through water (in real time) to the guy with the magic watch.

	In other news, after trying for about a week, I finally got through to COMPUSERVE's busy customer service department, and I found that
there is another membership option that I'd never needed to consider which (supposedly) will GREATLY reduce the amounts of $$$ that
these INTERNET messages are costing me. But... now that I finally found a way to afford to spend time on here, people have stopped
asking me questions. It figgers.