Gladstone's 1st WDC&S

Larry J. Gerstein Larry.J.Gerstein at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu May 27 22:12:14 CEST 1993

	Dear Folks,

	First of all, note my new E-mail address... I'm now at home in
Hanover, NH and will be here for a while.  So I'm using my Dad's E-Mail
system.

	Now that I'm here I've gotten the first look at the new Gladstones.
Well, they look generally good.  The WDC&S has, in my opinion, a Li'l Bad
Wolf with downright poor artwork; after about 1958, Paul Murry's work just
doesn't strike me as anything like attractive.  Here it is wooden and stiff.
(The writing is okay, I guess, but Gladstone didn't know who did it.)
However, the Donald's a nice pick, and the Mickey is, too.  (Note:  This is a
different-looking reformatting of this story than was in Gladstone's old
Album #4, and it's got far superior colors, although it looks rather stuffed
in with 5 rows of panels to a page.)

	(Again, I think that the Gottfredson stuff should be in Donald and
Mickey, not here, because there the Gottfredson can have 13 pages, whereas
even with 12 here, he blocks out space that could be used for a longer middle
story (LBW is 4 pgs).  Whereas the other artists' Mickey stories are all
shorter and can be used in 8-page chunks;  in fact, many that were in WDC&S
are *already* this way.)

	Okay, fellas and gals, what do you think of the Gladstone color
scheme?  I know no one who liked the ducks to have blue eyes; they're gone.
Disney *also* colored the insides of the ducks' mouths red-brown, like they
and Gladstone always have on the covers, and as was also the fashion in the
earlier cartoons.  I liked having this inside the comics.  Now the ducks have
the insides of their mouths the same color as the outsides. This wouldn't be
bad if the bills' color was orange-yellow, like in the newsprint comics, or
light orange, as in the albums;  it's now (and the same is true of the recent
CBL Albums) almost an orange-BROWN, which I think is flatter and less
attractive, particularly when they give the ducks similarly bland pink
tongues (as opposed to red, or the odd lavender Disney used).
	On the pro side, Mickey and Goofy lose their pink faces.  On the
other hand, I think Li'l Bad Wolf looked better with one.

	(I'm just bringing all these things up to see what you guys think of
'em, so that maybe if anyone figures they're worth arguing about, a group of
letters could be sent to Gladstone about it, and a group may be more likely
to get results than just ONE person.)

	Well, let's see what you think...

	Your friend,

	David Gerstein