Disney-comics digest #143.

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Mon Nov 1 09:40:40 CET 1993

"Maybe I'm wrong... but in 1990, the only hardback "library"
books I saw were the Abbeville/Mondadori books and a Gottfredson
reprint series, MICKYS KLASSIKER.  Since then has someone begun
publishing translations of the CBL... I don't mean just some
collection of all-Barks stories, but in Another Rainbow's format?  If
so, why aren't ads for the thing in Ehapa's regular comics?  (They
weren't as of last summer.)" ...said/asked David Gerstein.

I don't know about Germany, but in Scandinavia there has so far been no attempt
to translate/lift the CBL, either directly or as a concept (with the kind of
exception of Horst Schr|ders older Barks/Gottfradson projects; but I suppose
you knew about them).

There is however two kinds of nothing-but-Barks publications in Sweden: the
"Kalle Ankas B{stisar" series (translates as approx.: "Donald Duck's Favvies"),
which is an album format soft-cover series that's been running for at least 15
or 20 years or something like that. Also there are the "Guldb|ckerna" (The
Golden Books), subtitled "Gamla, goda {ventyr av Carl Barks" (Good Old Stories
by CB). These are hardcover, comic-BOOK format and often includes rare or
never-before translated material, nicely translated, coloured and printed.
Neither series have any chronological ambitions.

Thought you'd like to know...

Mattias