Answers to David about Dutch comics (2)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Nov 8 14:08:51 CET 1993

me> The 43th issue of the Weekly Donald Duck this year contained
me> a very funny story drawn by Ben Verhagen.

David> 	First, do you have any more information on that Verhagen story?

me> Yes. 8-)

I'll be a bit more specific now: (**spoilers**)
code: H 91160
size: 19 pages

demonstration day. This leads to various funny gags. Then an inventor
(no Gyro involved in this story) shows his 'vase-reading' machine. It
can read noises from a vase from the time that vase was made. Again some
very funny results.
One of the vases 'mentions' a ship with gold in the Himalaya, so Scrooge & co.
go find it.
(Donald: A ship in the Himalaya? What a nonsense!
Scrooge: Gold is gold. If someone wants to store it in a ship on a mountain,
he has the RIGHT to do so!)
The rest of the story is a bit like the Suheli story (Curse of the lost
Empress), published before by Gladstone. The Ducks find the ship (of course),
and they start some mechanism that eventually makes it rain gold in the
valley. Not very original, and a flaw is that the *reason* for all the
mechanisms is not explained.
But the first part of the story makes up for this.

--Harry.