+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #167.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Thu Nov 25 07:11:05 CET 1993

To Bror Hellman:
	Since I am a great admirer of "the guy", I should point out the
evidence in your OWN posting, that when he "stepped off the train" on
his first trip West when he was ONLY 24 he (like everyone else in those
days) wanted to join the hunt for buffalo. This was his first trip to
the land that he loved SO MUCH that he nearly gave up his rich-kid life
to devote himself to as a cattle rancher. He never realized that these
buffalo critters were near extinction, nor would anyone in those days
have thought to worry about such things. (Besides, he only shot ONE.)
It says a great deal more for him than for some modern conservationist
that HE realized the importance of preserving the wilds WITHOUT having
environmentalists pounding it over his head. For pete's sake, later in
life he just about created the whole conservation movement to protect
virgin land and wildlife from being wiped out. Of ALL the people of
history to pick on for shooting one buffalo, this guy is a truly absurd
choice! I NEVER worried about anyone thinking THIS way about him -- my
worry was that Europeans would think of him as a wild imperialist, which
he...well... sorta WAS a little bit around the armpits. But that's only
when you judge him in our 1993 eyes -- in those days he was just the
sorta guy that the world needed.
	Oh, heck, Harry! If the only people who haven't read this Lo$
story are Americans, then there's no reason to keep "the guy"'s identity
a secret. Any American reading this conversation who didn't know who we
were referring to would hafta be a dolt. It's Theodore Roosevelt!

Per:
	Nay, nay... I never said I'd turn all my "Captain Kentucky"
stories into Duck adventures. I said I'd turn all my "Pertwillaby
Papers" adventures into Duck adventures.

Juuso Paaso:
	The sub-god says "hiya".