More German character names

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Sat Oct 2 18:58:07 CET 1993

	Dear Folks,

	Just remembered a few *more* German character names!  Gotta do
my duty... (I've given translations when the names have been
particularly interesting, as in yesterday's listing)

	Gyro's helper = Hilferlein
	Moby Duck = (Same)
	Dimwitty Duck = Doofy ("Dopey")
	Br'er (Riley) Rabbit = Vetter Hansi Hase
	Molly Rabbit = Molly
	Butch (in MM strip 1930/31) = Dicker ("Fatty")
	April, May and June = Dicky, Dacky und Ducky
	Morty and Ferdie Fieldmouse = Mack und Muck
	Launchpad McQuack = Quack
	Webbigail [feh!] = Nicky
	Kat Nipp = Kipp der Kater [Was this in your list at all?]
	Creamo Catnera = Willi Wumm [Was *this* in your list at all?]
	Junior Woodchucks = Die Faehnlein Feiselschweif

	Updated German listings for:

	Donald Duck (pre-WWII) = Schnatterich ("Blabbermouth")
	            (post-WWII) = Donald Duck

	Huey, Dewey and Louie (1951) = Rip, Rap, Rup
	                      (1952-present) = Tick, Trick, Track

	Jiminy Cricket (1951) = Jiminy Grashuepfer
	               (1952-present) = Jiminy Grille

	Chip 'n' Dale (at first) = Schlipp und Schlupp
	              (then) = Ahoernchen und Behoernchen
	              (1990-present) = Chip und Chap

	The first German issue of postwar Disney comics (Sept. 1951)
began with Barks' "Gladstone Returns" (WDC&S 95) in painted color.
All German Disney comics had painted color at first, absolutely
beautiful!  The other first Barks stories to appear in German were
from WDC&S 78 ("Jam Robbers"), WDC&S 86 ("Fireman Donald"), and WDC&S
100 ("Truant Officer Donald").  The first long Gottfredson story to be
published, I believe, was "An Education for Thursday" (although some
also appeared prior to Hitler's 1938 ban as well), which appeared in
an extra-length special of 1952.
	In the first few issues of the German comics the names of
Donald's nephews and of a few others were inconsistent, hence the
above.

	One updated Italian listing:

	Minnie Mouse (early 1930s) = Topolina
	             (mid '30s-present) = Minni

	Why in the world was *this* change made?  As it stands now,
Minnie's Italian name is certainly closer to the English than any of
the others' names, but seems out of *place* beside the others' names,
too.

	That's all for now.

	David Gerstein

	"I'm Mickey Mouse... you know, Mickey *Mouse*?  I hope...
you've heard of me!  I hope!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>