Posters...

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Sat Oct 2 19:57:32 CET 1993

On Sat, 2 Oct 1993, Henri Rantanen wrote:
> Not so long ago, I asked about posters of Don Rosa art...
> Don Rosa is NOT so famous in the USA? That sure comes as a surprise for me!
> Here in Finland he is becoming more popular, and I sure hope he gets the
> deserved 'push' there too. Not so much is known about him here, but his art
> shows more often in the magazine. Have you given an interview to the folks
> of the Finnish maggy yet? If not, perhaps one would do no harm...

While the Walt Disney Corporation is very well known, and Mickey Mouse is
recognizable around the world, the creators who work for Disney are not.
The only creative Disney person that the public knows anything about is
Mr. Disney himself.  Few people know about the Old Men, like Ward Kimball,
let alone about the creators who worked on the comic strips and comic
books.  I haven't seen the yearly Postal Service statistics that most
publishers are required to publish, put recent direct market (comic book
stores) figures show Gladstone with a 0.25% share of the "fan" market.

If Marvel (which owns the newsstand distributor rights) is an intelligent
marketeer, then Disney comics should sell very well in newsstands and
non-comic book stores.  That is where the future of Disney comics lies, as
how many of us in the United States bought Western and Gold Key comics at
a comic book store?

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA