Eating habits

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Sun Oct 3 10:34:27 CET 1993

Anders Engwall:
> Dunno about how it was done in the first Swedish publication, but when
> it was reprinted in 1968 they used "vulture". I like that -- it sounds
> even less eatable than "eagle".

I like it too.  I didn't know that it was something else originally
until this discussion came up here.

David:
> Donald as a vegetarian?  Hmmmm... he often eats roast chicken,
> and one of his best friends (Gyro) is that very bird.  At least one
> story has also shown him eating roast goose, and that defines both Gus
> and Gladstone.  Vicar's story in US 265 showed Scrooge having a "ham
> steak" for lunch, and merely five issues later we saw him opposing the
> classic *pig* villain, Argus McSwine.

That's not very strange I think.  The ham steak is from an *animal*
pig, and Argus McSwine is a *man* pig.  That man/animal distinction
exists for all species, except for men who all are "man men" (but they
aren't that frequent anyway).  What I think *is* strange is that the
ducks get so worried in The Gilded Man when they see stuffed (animal)
ducks.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "You can't lock Unca' Donald in your old zoo!"
 "And besides, he isn't an animal!"