Various replies

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Sun Oct 3 15:34:13 CET 1993

Fredrik:
> I also thought that this would be a good idea to announce our
> existence on r.a.d, perhaps as a reply to abovementioned list.
> I believe that this has been done before, but that was some time
> ago, right? Unfortunately I cannot do this myself as I can
> currently only read news, not post anything.

I put an ad for this list on rec.arts.disney (and
rec.arts.comics.info) when creating it.  Besides that I've only
mentioned it while I was talking anyway whenever I've written
anything about Disney comics on the Net (not very often).  I've seen
Harry do the same.  Maybe it would be a good idea to repeat the info
every semester, I don't know.  I think it's more important that we are
mentioned where people might look for such info.  We are mentioned in
the section on comics mailing lists in the rec.arts.comics FAQ.
There is no similar section in the rec.arts.disney FAQ though, which I
think is a pity (hi Tom!).  I think FAQs work best when they not
only answer the Frequently Asked Questions, but when they also give
pointers to where other information can be found.

Thanks for informing the r.a.d. list of lists people.  There's a
pointer to our ftp archive from the growing general comics ftp archive
now by the way.

Harry :
> (Maybe this text looks familiar to you? Discover the differences with Per's!)

Is this a quiz?  Hmm, it must have been that part about being
interested in geography. :-)

Harry:
> Back in 1977, I made a list of the best Donald Duck stories I knew
> then. Later, 12 out of 15 stories came out to be Barks stories (and I
> only knew stories from the 60s then!). The others were 2 Strobls and a
> Hubbard (yes Per, a HUBBARD story).

That's good! :-)  I wish I'd ever done such a list back then.  It
might be interesting to look at now.

Fabio:
> (Only Yummi Fur? What about Fantagraphics, Per?)

Well, I do still read some other comics (I'm just going through
a pile of Nemo's I got recently), but I don't buy every issue as it is
published of anything else.  Hmm, I do that with The Complete Crumb
Comics too.  But then nothing.

New member Henri Rantanen wrote:
> I am new to the list, and thus I do not know if this question is against
> the rules...

As several people have pointed out there aren't that many rules here.
If it seems that way sometimes (you have to think THIS, know THAT,
like THIS, and dislike THAT), it's only an illusion.  This list ought
to be big enough for everyone interested in Disney comics.

As for Don Rosa posters, they don't exist.  Simple as that.  Write
Gladstone and ask for them, if you want something to happen.  (Did the
Barks posters ever sell well?  I never bought any.)

> Don Rosa is NOT so famous in the USA? That sure comes as a surprise
> for me!  Here in Finland he is becoming more popular, and I sure hope
> he gets the deserved 'push' there too.

Of course he is famous in Disney comics circles in the USA.  Don gave
you another impression because he compares the US at large with what
he sees from Europe when he's a guest of honour at a comics convention
or something similar here.  Not quite the same thing...

By the way:  Shortly before you joined the list Ole (ROC) asked what's
in Aku Ankka nowadays and how he could subscribe to it.  Maybe you
could help him with that?
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"