Dating $crooge's moneybin: 1902 or...?

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at j-sek.lu.se
Tue Oct 5 13:31:19 CET 1993

Hi, one and all; and in particular Don,

                                       with whom I've been through the argument
to follow, before. At first, however, special greetings to Don from Stefan Di|s
who says: "yes, yes, I know, I really should, I just never get around to it,
and when there's a problem with some translation it always has to be solved on
the spot, but I really should; gee, I feel so bad about that..." Well, you know
what Stefan is like, when basically he means that he's a d****d sluggard, but
to lazy to do something about it. BUT he also asked me to tell you that he
recently translated your woodchucks story, and that he loved it all from one
end to the other; EXCEPT possibly the relative dating of Marco Polo and some
crusade (?) - that's what he said, at least. I don't know - haven't seen it
yet. Egmont will, he said too, be publishing it specially in an album of some
kind, not in KA&C:o.

But: the moneybin - Don, there is NO WAY you can have $crooge build the
solitary, square Killmotor Hill moneybin in 1902 or thereabouts, AND still
claim that "Life of $crooge" sticks strictly to Barks. Nope. NOT ONLY does
Donald in a 1951 WDC call it "Unca $crooge's NEW moneybin"; but a few panels
later he informs the kids that $crooge has had 20 blocks of buildings removed
in order to build it. ERGO: prior to approx. 1951 Killmotor Hill had a more
ordinary set of buildings on it, one of which might well enough have been some
kind of office cum moneystorage belonging to $crooge. ALSO check out the WDC
prior to this story, and take a look at what kind of moneybin is there
destroyed by the combined efforts of Donald and the Boer War cannon; and THEN
compare this moneybin to the one in "Only a Poor Old Man"... You are wrong if
you insist on building THE moneybin in 1902, Don, as much as you might like it.
AND you should check the mid 1940's WDC where $crooge gets hayfever from his
money

(to be continued...)

Mattias Hallin