K-index and length of digests

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Tue Oct 5 21:36:48 CET 1993

David> Here's my Disney Comics K-Index.  Hardly any time to talk now.

Thanks!  I've put it at the ftp archive now, with some apostrophes
reinserted.

As for Don's complaint about long digests, Harry has it right.  The
digests are just all the messages sent to the list automatically
collected in bunches.  I wouldn't *want* to decide what posts should
be there and what shouldn't, and I wouldn't have the time anyway.
Haven't I said all this before?

There is one thing I maybe ought to do, though.  I could adjust the
program so that it sends messages bigger than a certain threshold by
their own, and not together with other messages.  Would that be a good
idea?

Harry:
> 1. Don't mail large indexes to the list; send them to Per to put on ftp
>    or announce them and send them in private mail to people who ask for them.

I think that's a good idea, too.  Not really because it's big---a long
report from a Disney panel at a comics convention or a wordy essay on
Barks's use of Scrooge's cane would of course (?) go to the list---but
because an index is not something you normally read from beginning to
end.  And indexes are almost never finished.  They tend to be
corrected and updated from time to time, and posting them every time
that happens would create a lot of traffic in which only the latest
message really is interesting.

Another thing about this very list (and not about Disney comics
such):
Torsten> First, have them [Gladstone] tell their readers about this
Torsten> group.  Per could probably write a decent introduction.

Who?  Me?  I've got a belly-ache!
Well, if they do mention it, I wonder if that would result in an
explosion of subscription requests...
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"