Cavazzano

Topi Ylinen f1toyl at uta.fi
Fri Oct 8 09:52:43 CET 1993

Luigi (belival at ghost.dsi.unimi.it) wrote:

>Topi Ylinen about Worst Disney Stories:
>> Anything by Cavazzano.

>In Italy we say:"Tastes are tastes". For example: I don't like Scarpa.
>In my opinion Giorgio Cavazzano is an Artist (with capital A).
>Do you know: most of latest stories in Italy are drawn
>in a Cavazzano's style (like what is happening in USA about superheroes
>with McFarlane/Jim Lee style).

 Actually I have no problem with his drawing... my problem is his plots
 - or should I say the lack thereof.

 Long stories without any original ideas, very little humour (even lessened
 by the translation, of course), and pretty often the setting/story idea is
 extremely *dull*. Lots of pointless scenes too almost too boring to read.

 There are two elements to a good comic story: good art AND good plot, the
 latter being IMHO at least as important as the former. Take Barks' classical
 duck stories - not *only* he can draw - his plots are brilliant too! (Granted,
 he has a habit of repeating himself, but considering the mere quantity of
 his artistic output, that needs no excusing).

 Now that you mentioned Jim Lee, I have to say that he is an ideal example
 of the above. As long as he co-operated with Chris Claremont (a very original
 writer for the superhero genre), the stories were sheer pleasure to read.
 Though at later stages, when Jim started creating plots, they became consider-
 ably worse. Then came Jim's own stories. The art was great all right, but
 the plots *SUCKED* (and even that is an understatement). The majority of comic
 readers realized that and don't buy Jim's comics.

 Ah - and McFarlane's stories *SUCK* too! (You should know that)

 The importance of plot/art can of course be different for different persons,
 but when the stories are as bad as Cavazzo's non-plots, *everyybody* should
 note there is something wrong. (For me, btw, I think I appreciate 2/3(!) plot
 and only 1/3 art. Or even 80% plot, 20% art! That may be because I also
 read a lot of books. So, estimation of Cavazzano's comic books would be some-
 thing like "17%" - his drawing is still far from ideal. His non-plots earn
 him no points on my scale. Maybe I should have given him an even poorer rate
 because I think "stories" that bad should be given a negative value...)

 I know there are other Italian artists drawing pretty much the same way as
 Cavazzano. Fortunately, their stories are not nearly as bad! They even seem
 to have *plots* pretty often.

 (All this is of course just my personal opinion - not a flame)

<Topi Ylinen = f1toyl at kielo.uta.fi>