Colours

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Mon Oct 11 15:41:28 CET 1993

Don:
>	All the discussion about what color something or other was in
> some old comic is mighty pointless. The colors were not done by the
> artists nor even by anyone in the editorial offices. The colors in
> comics are done by a room full of little old ladies in Sparta, Illinois,
> who (in those days) may not even have had much contact with the Dell
> offices or editors who are supposed to watch these colors. But whoever
> does the colors, it's NOT the original artist.

Yes, I know that, so what?  (That is, I didn't know that the
colourists were situated in Sparta, IL, but I knew the rest of what
you wrote.)  Readers have their impressions of how the duck universe
is coloured, and that comes from the actual colours used in the comic
books, regardless of where the colours came from, even when they were
done by "little old ladies".

Of course I prefer colour information directly from Carl Barks, e.g.,
in a watercolor or oil painting, but even if only those who write and
draw the stories have the right to have opinions on what colours
things are, it's still relevant what colours the colourists chose, as
you too are influenced by that.  That can be seen by your remarks on
Scrooge's coat, as well as the colours in Barks's paintings.  (He
wouldn't have made 313 green in that painting with the car!)

On the colours of the Terries and Firmies: Yes, that is one of
numerous colouring mistakes.  I take it as granted that the colourists
weren't supposed to take time to read the stories, so it's not very
surprising.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"