More on Libraries

bjorn-are.davidsen@s.televerket.tele.no bjorn-are.davidsen at s.televerket.tele.no
Wed Oct 13 16:46:10 CET 1993

DON!

I am sorry for my perhaps somewhat clumsy way of expressing myself on the
subject of
libraries in Constantinople. Of course there were HUGE libraries in
Constantinople, at least
up to 1204! My main point was to defend you (if that is necessary) against any
misunderstanding that the library in your story really had ought to have been
placed in
Bagdad or Cordoba or any other Arab/Moslem city of that day. Far from it!
Constantinople was
larger (in population, area, buildings, riches) than both of these cities, and I think
(even if
Even and my schoolday teachers may disagree) that it's libraries (there were
many of them
in the City) were larger too.

Regarding your drawing of Constantinople. There are TWO panels in the story
showing the
City, one large one from the Moslem period (e.g. after the Turkish conquest in
1453 because
of the many minarets, but not containing any modern building, as in Istanbul
today) and one
small one on the next page showing crusaders and burning buildings/churches. I
commented
really on both, but my main point is that Byzantinian Churches (there were
several hundreds
if not thousands of them) have lots of round/"bubbleshaped" domes (and domes
on domes)
or cuppolas (if that is the word). The Turkish mosques from after 1453 are
constructed as
copies of the most famous Byzantine church, The Hagia Sophia.

To avoid any further misunderstanding (I hope): I really enjoyed the story!
Especially the fact
that you are one of the very few authors which seem to know enough about
history that the
Byzantines are put in their real context and their great contribution to posterity
(as guardians
of classical culture) is not forgotten! I would very much appreciate it if you in a
later story
could return to Constantinople! I would like a lot of drawings of the city in it's
(long)
Byzantinian highday!

Bjorn Are
Bjorn-Are at Davidsen.televerket.tele.no