Family trees again

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Fri Oct 15 17:14:05 CET 1993

Fabio wrote:
> There [in the Italian book __Introduzione a Paperino: La
> fenomenologia sociale nei fumetti di Carl Barks_] I found a nice
> Duck Family Tree, constructed, according to the authors, following the
> Barks'mithology, and it would be nice to make some confrontation (hey,
> Per, you have the book, and you can get also the DFT by Don-which I
> cannot: what are you waiting for??)

I don't have Don's tree, and as far as I know it has yet only been
published in a Norwegian newspaper, so my views on it will have to
wait.

Here in Scandinavia the influential book from the 70's was instead Jon
Gisle's _Donaldismen_ (in Norwegian, and then translated into Danish
(_Andeologien_(?)) and Swedish (_Ankismen_), and of course it also
featured a family tree among other things. And then the genealogical
debate has been going on for several years in fanzines etc.

One interesting item that wasn't known back in the seventies is the
duck family tree that Barks made for his own reference in the early
fifties.  Of course that's one of several questions you have to decide
upon when making a tree: if only what is actually published in the
comic books is canon.

What was in that small family tree of Barks has been published here
before, but as it may be of continued interest, I've put it at the ftp
archive (as characters/duck-family-tree).  When I was at it I also
created a new small characters/gladstone-gander with some genealogical
information on Gladstone Gander.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
  "My only relatives are my nephew, Donald, and his nephews, Huey,
   Dewey, and Louie, and my distant nephew, Gladstone Gander! ...
   What a collection!"