Language and other stuff

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Tue Oct 19 15:36:15 CET 1993

David wrote:
>	I came back from my New Hampshire stay to find that no Digest
> was sent to me yesterday (Sunday).  Now it's past the usual time that
> one arrives on Monday, and this one hasn't come either.  Why is this?

A most extraordinary thing happened:  No message arrived to the list
for over 33 hours!  That means that there was a 48-hour interval
between digest #130 and #131.  There's no guarantee that there will be
messages every day---in fact this list was silent several days in a
row rather often earlier.  If you're anxious about not getting it all,
watch the issue numbers of the digests to see if you get everything;
that's the only reason for their existence.  If you find that you
really miss one issue, ask me to resend it to you.

David also wrote:
>	That's about it for now.  I will send a hoozoo on Clarabelle
> Cow and Horace Horsecollar to Per soon, for the characters file.

Thanks!  I've installed it as characters/clarabelle-and-horace.
Please consider this everyone: I'd like all kinds of informational
files for the ftp archive, not only indexes.  Especially when
something has been discussed at some length here, and some conclusion
is reached, I think it would be nice if someone summed it all up in
a text that could be stored there.

And a whole nother affair -- on language:
(First, Mattias, your spelling "colour" with a "u" surprised me.  I
thought you tried to write just like an American comic book. :-)

Geir wrote that
> * Barks language was using contemporary speech, slang, newly formed
> language structures.

Was it really?  All the time?  American English from the 50's is of
course not my native language (and not any other English either, for
that matter), but I've gotten an impression that the language in
Barks's comics wasn't that "up-to-date", but rather had a special feel
to it, even back then.  Or am I off my track here?  I don't really
know why I have that impression.  For instance I thought that his
frequent "baloney" was used a lot more in still earlier days (Rube
Goldberg uses it a lot too), but I just went to the library, and I
gather that it really was part of the current idiom (It's not
nowadays, is it?), so it seems I was wrong on that one at least.

Another thing that Geir wrote:
> To a great extent a new writer / artist who has had two series
> published, that looked almost exactly like Barks. If I didnt know all
> of Barks, I would have believed it was him! Who is he?

Well, what stories were they?  The most Barks-like items I've seen in
recent books are Daan Jippes reinkings of Barks's Woodchuck stories,
but I guess you include these in all-of-Barks?
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"