Lustig's letter (was Re: +Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #134.)

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Fri Oct 22 15:45:58 CET 1993

Don Rosa <72260.2635 at compuserve.com> writes:
>	Somebody saw that letter from Lustig in the CBG.
That was me.  I last read it a couple of days ago, so my memory of it
may have faded a tad.

>Pity you can't read between the lines.
Well, it was apparent from my reading that there is obviously some
Lustig-Rosa tension or disagreement, but no clues as to its exact
nature.  Lustig also had some criticisms of your work, all of which I
thought were extrememly ill-informed and disagreed with.

>Lustig and Van Horn are working closely with
>Grandy, Barks' new "agent" who sells his work and Van Horn's. Van Horn
>makes copies of his stories and covers which Grandy and he sell on the
>open market, in direct violation of their contracts, and in direct
>conflict with my efforts to gain legitimate permission for such
>activities.

Will they get in any sort of trouble for this?  Would you get in
trouble for doing the same thing?  Perhaps they're taking the risk of
ground-breaking?...

>This will also help us see the reason for lots of recent
>events, and more to come... such as Barks writing a story for Van Horn
>to illustrate which he and Grandy will then.... well...

Yes?  I gather they have some big secret plans for it?  What are the
other events?

>And you can see
>where the directive to Lustig originated to have him write the letter
>objecting to someone other than Van Horn getting the kindly attention
>from Duck fans.

Have you read this letter?  He didn't object at all to you getting
attention - he may have been putting words in your mouth, but he
was saying that both you *and* Van Horn object to being referred to as
"Barks' Heir apparent".  Nothing about it "being OK" for Van Horn but
not you.  And there's nothing preventing you from writing a
rebuttal about their illegal activities - that's that the CBG letter
column is all about!

---- mas at csa.bu.edu