+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #135.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 23 07:10:01 CET 1993

COMMENTS ON #135:

David:

	Now, don't go and tell John Clark that I told you something that
conflicts with something HE told YOU. That's just the sort of thing that
I mentioned before would get me to clam up around here. But... John
Clark was aware of the "Lost Library" story while I was DOING it, and he
received copies of it immediately upon its completion about a year ago.
What you may have misunderstood him explaining is that he didn't know it
was used in Norway last month... maybe, I dunno.
	And when would $crooge say "curse my kilts"? Would ANY Scot ever
utter such a thing? You do know that a Scot's kilt contains his tartan
and that is something he would die for before he'd dishonor. I'm
probably overreacting to a small thing... but I can't think of an
expression that is more out-of-character for a Scot to say.

Mark:
	No, no, to sign contracts then to break your word on the sly is
NOT the way to make progress with the Disney system. While some of us
are trying to work in the open to change the system, having one person
who does not help that cause in the least ALSO be cheating on it in a
reckless fashion is a selfish and greedy activity, not brave. With no
help from that faction, I have actually made headway with Disney in the
past year -- were they to see how another party signs the contracts then
directly violates, they may dig in their heels and backslide, and all
the people who are trying to work for change within the system stand to
lose everything they've accomplished. Lustig was another of Van Horn's
sales agents who I've expressed my objections to, and it's this sort of
thing you can't really see between the lines as the impetus for that
letter.
	I didn't see where Lustig was claiming I objected to being
called this "heir apparant... something I never commented on. His letter
was saying that Barks was giving Van Horn this appelation, followed by a
quote that Van Horn gave him to include.
	But the illegal art is being sold by "the Carl Barks Studio"
(Grandy) since the new stance seems to be that they know nobody will say
a word to a 93 year old icon no matter what he does, so they figure
Barks can negege on promises to Hamilton and Grandy can deal in
unauthorized art copies and he will be untouched. I could put a stop to
it with a phone call, but a loss of honor is the worst fate someone can
experience, so I let them stew in their own juices, while I and others
continue to deal with Disney in the proper manner.