Comments on Per's comments on my comments...

Fredrik Ekman d91fe at enceladus.pt.hk-r.se
Sun Oct 24 23:10:14 CET 1993

Per wrote:
> After some of Fredrik's old messages suddenly found their way here he
> wrote in a more recent message:
>
> > For example, since Grandma is called that by everyone (even
> > non-relatives), whose grandma IS she really? It is true that
> > Taliaferro clearly states in her first appearance that she is Donald's
> > grandma, but [...]
>
> He did?  I've always gotten the impression that Taliaferro intended
> Grandma to be grandma of the boys and Donald's *mother*.  Then that area
> got muddled until it much later was made clear that Grandma is
> Donald's Grandma.

Well, it's been quite some time since I read that strip (well, Sunday-page
actually), but I'm sure that that is how I interpreted it then anyway. Of
course, I've been wrong before and there is nothing to say that I won't be
again. :-)

> > In one Italian "flashback" the first meeting between Scrooge and
> > Grandma is depicted and there it is actually clearly stated that they
> > are sister and brother and also that they were not brought up together
> > nor, indeed, knew of each other's existence.
>
> Where is that flashback?

In a long Italian story. The Swedish title would translate to something
like "The Mystery of the Beheaded Totem Pole" and it included several
references to $crooge's past life. In Sweden it was split up over several
titles and published completely in the wrong order. The first part was the
last to see print several years after the other parts. The abovementioned
first meeting of Grandma and $crooge *could* have been in KAP 89, but don't
take my word for it.

> > Of course, if the above-mentioned Rota story was to be used today,
> > it would have to go through some serious re-dialoguing.
>
> Only if we insist on everything fitting nicely together.
> (Or only if we insist on every story taking place in the same
> universe, to put it another way.)

True enough. What I meant was more like that now that Don has written his
version of the history making it all fit so nicely together, it would be
sort of a shame to publish something that is so obviously contradictory
only a short time later.

> Then I'd also like a Disney Index server to which you could
> send (directly if you're on internet, via email otherwise) queries
> like "List the contents of WDC 150" or "List stories with Uncle
> Scrooge from before 1960 not written by Barks in chronological order"
> or whatever.

Something like that is exactly what I meant with my proposition 1) in a
to set up such a service? How many would use it? Half the members of this
list and five others? I know I should probably just shut up since I won't
be doing any of the work anyway...

  /F