Duckburg and Dates

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Fri Oct 29 14:24:17 CET 1993

Dates - not the kind ya eat, and not the kind ya go out on, but those in our
calendars: Don, I know well enough that the sixth of something annual comes
five calendar years after the first - what I did NOT know (or rather, remember
offhand) at the time I wrote about it was exactly what year my Brittanica said
the first Kentucky Derby was in in the first place; "1881" was what I THOUGHT I
remembered I originally came up with as the year of the sixth Derby, but it
must be going on a year now since I did those computations; yeah - just after I
last met you at the Sollentuna Comic Fair, or thereabouts. As I've said before:
I have access to this list through the computer/terminal at my job, which means
that if I just toss of a letter on the spur of the moment, as I usually do, I
have to rely on my memory; which alas'n'alack DOES affect exactitude...

About Donald's age, it seems to me that, as I already said, there shouldn't
really be any problem then; and personally I don't think it's much of a problem
if Donald's behaviour at (computed: 1920-1930) age 10 seems more childish than
that age would warrant for the average child, or if HD&L already at (computed
age 1940-1947) age 7 are much wiser than Donald ever was as a child. After all:
HD&L are usually portrayed as much smarter even than the ADULT Donald, so I
don't see this as a problem at all.

Grandma, then: I think Byron was right! as I also said before myself, and
1855/1875 seems more realistic to me than your original sugggestions (which,
offhand, I cannot remember (Sic!)).

About Duckburg on the map then: apart from the fact that I'd rather like Eureka
to still exist (well, in the real world I mean) since that's where they publish
"Comic Relief", I can't say that I take those Catalina references TOO seriously
myself; as far as locating Duckburg is concerned. It should be noted in this
context, though, that the existing evidence for placing Duckburg on the West
Coast in the first place is just about as slim: a roadsign and the distance to
Floodout, Ohio, basically. So, STRICTLY speaking, it would be logical enough to
take into consideration the Catalina references as well; BUT equally logical
are your two arguments AGAINST that: there's hardly much room, and it doesn't
snow very often in LA, or so I would think (it didn't snow when I was in LA,
anyway; and THAT is CONCLUSIVE evidence!!!). Have you, by the way, considered
wether or not the Eureka area allows for the other topographical features in
orin the vicinity of Duckburg? What about mountains? Deserts? What-have-you? I
don't know about that myself (I only just thought of it) so this is NOT an
implied critique - I'm just curious!

I hope you had a nice trip to wherever;

All my Quackiest!!!