Gawsh... (Re: Fabio)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Sep 27 17:57:48 CET 1993

> Now about my favourite stories... Well, I do not think I can list only TEN
> stories... Maybe my Barks' favourite one is the full version of "Back to
> the Klondike" (if I HAD to decide), and that is probably my favourite duck
> story, too, even if there are at least a couple of Italian (which are
> linked to my childhood) by Romano Scarpa (Zio Paperone e le lenticchie di
> Babilonia) and Pezzin-Cavazzano (Paperino e l'isola vulcano) which are
> close enough...
> (ok, go on: flame me :-)

I remember a LOT of VERY BAD Italian stories, and a few good ones:
Scrooge in search of a fish for a 'kaibi' bird, featuring something like
  'the Flying Dutchman';
Scrooge and Donald on a butterfly hunt, featuring Brigitta MacBridge

I think those two were early Scarpa stories; they were printed in Holland
in the early 70s.

> And for Gottfredson... well, surely Island in the Sky from the Thirties,
> but his best stuff is maybe from the Forties (even if I do not remember the
> English titles...). More on this next time... :-)

I disagree: the best stuff is from the 30s! In the 40s, you get the stories
with Eega Beeva, which are quite OK (but not the best), and after th
t, well..

> [Scrooge has a] Scottish accent? I was absolutely sure he talked in a plain
> Italian... :-)

But if I remember well, the Italian Disney characters do GRUNT, SNORT and
make other noises in English! And Scrooge has dollars in his money bin.
Does that mean that Duckburg is in the USA, even in the Italian translations?
(In Holland, Duckburg is in some undefined country, but they pay in
guilders.)

--Harry.