Life-of-$crooge - ain't it grand?!

Mattias Hallin <ANNAS@castor.ldc.lu.se> ANNAS at castor.ldc.lu.se
Thu Sep 30 09:50:10 CET 1993

Quack! and hi there, folks!

(he said, almost overbearingly heartily)

These days, one of the major advantages of a knowledge in Nordic languages is
the opportunity/ability of getting at Don Rosa's "Life-of-$crooge" well ahead
of the rest of the world - an' lemme jes tell ya'll: It's grand! From a
somewhat hesitating start back in Scotland in the 1870's it picks up momentum,
installment by installment, and once it get's to Dawson in 1898 - oh boy!!!

In my opinion this series has three major strenghts:

a) it adheres (almost perfectly) to the Barks canon and to real historical
places and events without too much intrusion on the storytelling

b) it is a marvellous feat as regards the building of $crooge's personality
throughout the series - not least by realising that of course $crooge warn't
born a miser; that the $rooge we know from Barks's stories became like that
through his experiences in life

c) it's darn funny!!! and it's written (yeah, I've seen some of the English
scripts as well) in an enormously funny, witty and sensitively idiomatic
English.

To sum it up: It's great, it's a must and I can hardly wait myself for a real
publication of it in English (might one even hope for an album?!)

All my best to all of you out there on the ether;

I'll remain, Quackly Yours

Mattias Hallin
Lund, Sweden