Previews and Re: How much does $crooge have in his money bin?

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Sun Apr 3 00:28:44 CEST 1994

I don't remember just where I saw this, but I recall reading
an analysis of Scrooge's money bin in an old Gladstone letter column.
The author had calculated the volume of the bin, and perhaps just how
much cash it could hold.  (I seem to remember something about how 3
cubic acres would actually be *much* larger than the bin appears to
be.)

WDC&S 591 just came out and contains a new William Van Horn story,
"Magica's Missin' Magic."  This story includes, as one of it's main
characters, the whistling flea, Baron Itzy Bitzy.  I know that I've
read a previous Van Horn story with this flea in it - does anyone know
off hand which story this was?

I've been very busy recently, so I'm in the midst of catching up on my
mail.  Among other things, I got a recent letter from David Gerstein
wherein he mentions the Gladstone previews from last month.  I don't
know if these have already been mentioned here, my apologies if they
have:

(Comments are David's :-) )

"DDA 27: 'Rustler's in Widows Gap' by Pat Block.  This is the new tale
done directly for Gladstone that Gary Leach told us about.  It is 24
pages long!  Hurray!  First Donald Western in a long, long, time!"

"WDC&S 592 (64 pages): A William Van Horn DD story (no title given).
the conclusion of 'Hoppy the Kangaroo,' and (groan) 30 pages of Tony
Strobl's Donald Duck in memorial to Strobl, who died recently.  I
don't care much for Strobl, but know he has his fans and agree he
deserves a tribute - but why, when this is WDC&S, are they using only
Strobl DUCK material?  Didn't he draw mice. wolves, dawgs, etc. as
well?  Great, even with 64 pages Gladstone's WDC&S continues to be ALL
ducks and mice..."

"US 287: The third part of LO$ (I've forgotten the title, sorry!),
plus one of Jippes' redrawn Barks Junior Woodchuck tales, 'Duck-Made
Disaster.'  YYYYES!..."

I certainly look forward to most of these stories, especially the
Rosa, the new Pat Block tale, the Jippes Woodchuck story (I wrote in to
Gladstone and asked to see these) and also "Hoppy the Kangaroo," as I
never read it the first time around.  All in all, it looks to be a
great month.

Also just got the new April Previews myself:
---
Descriptions are Gladstone's, [comments are mine]

D&M 25 - This issue: "The Unorthodox Ox," by Carl Barks, in which
Donald borrows Grandma's "tame" bull.  Also features the final
installment of the Mickey and Goofy epic, "Don't Call Me Tut" [Blech!]
- a gag-filled [couldn't have chosen a better description myself] romp
from Disney Studios.  Plus: "This is Your Life, Donald Duck," by Tony
Strobl. - FC, 64pg $2.95

DD 286 - Join Carl Barks, Floyd Gottfredson, Frederico Pedrocchi, Don
Rosa, and William Van Horn for this 60th Anniversary tribute to the
greatest cartoon water-bird of all time!  Contains a 16-page story by
Rosa, a classic Donald/Mickey reprint (the first Mickey adventure in
which Donald participated) by Gottfredson, a 17-page Italian story
(first printed in 1937) by Pedrocchi, and "Donald's Victory Garden"
by Carl Barks - his first ten-pager, which originally appeared in
WDC&S #31.  Plus: a 10-page framing sequence by William Van Horn.  New
cover image by William Van Horn. - FC, 64pg $2.95

["Cover image"?  I'm starting to feel very afraid...]

USA #28 - Presents the epic Barks adventure, "Land Beneath the Ground"
- featuring artwork edited from Western's reprinting of the tale!
Also: The first installment of Romano Scarpa's Scrooge adventure, "The
Man From Oola Oola."  Cover by Don Rosa. - FC, 64pg $2.95
---
Aside from D&M, it looks like a good month.  The DD is certainly a
gem, and I'm very interested in what the Scarpa story in USA will be
like.

Off to the Funny Farm...