Disney-comics digest #288.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Sun Apr 3 17:18:34 CEST 1994

TRYG:

	I was afraid you were going to try to answer that insidious
question of how much money $crooge has in his Bin... but you gave the
only appropriate answer of one of the fanciful numbers that Barks gave
now and then. I was always irritated when people wrote in to those
letter pages trying to determine how much money was in $crooge's 3 cubic
acres, especially since it's not possible to even GUESS at without
making sweeping assumptions and generalizations as to just what's in an
average cubic foot (or wotever) of the bin. The calculations might be
fun if they could have the slightest sort of viable framework to start
from. The Bin is filled with ordinary pocket-change type cash which has
been dumped in from 1902 until 19??, along with 8 hogsheads of Canadian
and American currency from the previous 5 years. How many pennies?
Silver dollars from when they were common? Double eagle gold pieces from
when they were used?
	And, while I can't explain this, I also dislike anyone trying
to nail down that nebulous amount. I realize how strange this is coming
from someone who apparently relishes in "nailing down" so many other
aspects of $crooge's life, so I can't defend my attitude. I guess there
are SOME things I think should be elusive... and for some reason the
contents of the Bin are one of 'em.
	AND YET... as to the question you (Tryg) ask, as to whether an
amount of money is $crooge's net worth or just the contents of his Bin,
I addressed that matter in part 12 of the "Lo$". So often people seem to
feel that $crooge's bin is ALL of his money; if he's a thriving
businessman, it may be only a FRACTION of his worth. But if that's true,
why does he worry about it so much?
	I feel pretentious saying SPOILER WARNING as if I think people
are waiting on pins and needles to see this stuff -- but there, I
slipped the warning in sideways...
	"Lo$" CHAPTER 12, page 8 & 9 -- $crooge has just opened the
door to the Bin and shown DD and HDL what's inside.
	DD: "Oh, my stars and little comets! It IS a bin! A bin of
MONEY -- just like the TV show quesses!"
	HDL: "Lookit that gauge -- it's nearly 100 feet deep!"
	DD: "He... he has ALL his money in this ONE huge room!"
	U$: "Don't be an idiot! This isn't ALL my money! I have assets
in banks and property around the world!
	"But THIS... this is the money I earned MYSELF... ALONE... while
I travelled the globe for 50 years, singlehandedly discovering mines and
starting factories!
	"Each coin in this bin has a meaning to me! Each is a souvenir!
Each is a trophy to my grit and glory!
	"THIS is that part of my money I NEVER SPEND!"

	That's one of the few times I pulled off something I kinda like.
Other times I am terribly embarrassed by how much my work SUCKS DONKEY
PARTS!!! One such time was that cover I did back in the 17th century
for the Gladstone album reprinting "Land Beneath the Ground". And it's
THAT @#$%&*+ cover that I just was told is what Gladstone is reusing on
their new reprint!!! I quickly called and offered to redo it FOR FREE
if they just wouldn't use that cover! I was still in my earliest
learning stages of learning to draw when I did that thing! But too late.
	I aplogize to everyone for the reappearance of that cover art.