Disney-comics digest #288.

adair_t@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz adair_t at kosmos.wcc.govt.nz
Tue Apr 5 02:11:48 CEST 1994

[ I appologize for the previous empty message.  I haven't quite figured out
this editor yet.]

>>Market Share Figures:
>>(23) Gladstone       .26%    .45%     .23%     .43%     .56%     .41%     .34%

>I'm a fan, not a retailer.  But, these figures worry me.  Gladstone's
>measly market share has shrunk over the last three months.  Is this
>just because the market is so bloated right now, or is Gladstone
>really fading away?

The recent issue of Donald Duck Adventures published the circulation figures
required by the U.S. Postal Service.  I don't buy all the Gladstone issues
(sorry.), so I can't enter them here.  I do recall the total print run for DDA
was somewhere around 160,000.  Nowhere near the top sellers, but respectable.

They also had some 3,000 subscriptions to DDA.

Could someone please post the figures, for 1994, and other years?  Perhaps even
create an FTP file?

>How did the story end when translated into other languages? **SPOILER**
>In the english version the bug is singing "Brother Can You Spare A
>Dime?".  It is a good joke but it relies on a song which I doubt would
>be familar to most Europeans.  Likewise since the song is from the
>depression era, I wonder how many children reading the story got the
>joke.

Having watched too many Warner Brothers cartoons as a child, I now suffer from
Stalling's Syndrome.  Thus, I subconsciously create soundtracks for everyday
situations, and I don't realize it until I start whistling a tune.  I can also
do it consciously but it takes a bit of work.  So, "Brother.." is a good song,
or how about "I've got plenty of nothing..."?  "I'm in the money" is the
popular standby, but somewhat inappropriate for this story.  Two Disney
standards dealing with money are on the Mary Poppins soundtrack, and I assume
there is on in Robin Hood as well.

As to the point of children understanding the joke, well, I never understood
most of the puns in Bullwinkle and Rocky when I was a kid, but I enjoy them
now.

>deserves a tribute - but why, when this is WDC&S, are they using only
>Strobl DUCK material? Didn't he draw mice.  wolves, dawgs, etc.  as
>well? Great, even with 64 pages Gladstone's WDC&S continues to be ALL
>ducks and mice..."

Makes me wonder why Gladstone doesn't cancel WDC&S and print Mickey and Donald
twelve times a year.

Torsten Adair	adair_t at kosmos.wcc.govt.nz	Wellington, New Zealand