Disney-comics digest #290.

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Apr 5 12:08:51 CEST 1994

TORSTEN:

> A googol is ten to the one hundredth power (The digit "1" with 100 zeros
> behind it).  A googolplex is ten to the googol power {That is, 10^(10^100)}.

I remember that the word 'googol' was invented by the daughter of a scientist...

JAMES quoted someone, but he didn't say who and I don't recall:

> I don't care much for Strobl, but know he has his fans and agree he
> deserves a tribute - but why, when this is WDC&S, are they using only
> Strobl DUCK material? Didn't he draw mice.  wolves, dawgs, etc.  as
> well?

Strobl's mice etc. were quite UGLY. While his ducks are acceptable (for
years his ducks were the 'standard' ducks besides Barks), his other
characters are badly drawn most of the times. I'm glad Gladstone doesn't
reprint any of that.

But they COULD (re)print some very good Bad Wolf stories from Holland in WDC!
Dick Matena and Wilbert Plijnaar did some excellent stories in 1976 and
1977. With the help of Daan Jippes. The stories certainly deserve a reprint!

DAVID:
> 	Well, I'm back.

So I noticed!
David indexed a lot of Gladstone and Disney comics while he was away. He
sent the information to me; I'll make a new version of our "gladstone-disney.
index" file for ftp. In a few days!

JAMES:

> I can imagine
> a story where Scrooge McDuck finds some fabulous fortune and manages to
> overflow the money bin.  The problem with such a story is that I cannot
> see how it could have a happy ending.

You're almost exactly describing "Christmas for Shacktown" by Barks. Not a
fabulous fortune, but one single dime overflows the bin. And the ending
_is_ quite unhappy for Scrooge...

MIKKO:

> I could update Don Rosa and Van Horn indexes for Finnish books.
> Can I update the files myself (and mess up everything...) or
> can somebody tell where to post the information.

You _could_ send your Don Rosa updates to me... I have some Dutch info for
that index as well, so I can use your updates and my updates and send a
new version to Per for ftp.
Who can give updates (e.g. Life of Scrooge) in other Scandinavian countries?

About the Van Horn index: Fredrik Ekman is the right person to mail updates to.
I don't have his e-mail address at the moment...

> How can you explain that Morty and Ferdie appear in the
> same panel with Granny Duck in one Barks made story
> (Don't ask what story it is...), if the ducks are
> living in different 'universe'.

In the Gyro story in Uncle Scrooge 13, Morty and Ferdie appeared (and Grandma
appeared in that story, too). It's the only Barks story where M&F feature, and
that's only because Donald's nephews were not allowed in that story (some
mail regulation law...). Barks originally intended HDL in that story, as
he had Donald in the Gyro story in U$ 14, but had to replace him with Speedy.

I don't remember if M&F are actually mentioned by name, but I always consider
them just two child mice, not necessarily the M&F from the Mouse Universe.

--Harry.

Harry         PTT Research       ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
Fluks         Leidschendam        (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl

              "Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"