Rosa in Europe

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Thu Apr 7 09:36:21 CEST 1994

Don Rosa:
> 	Well, yes, all my WDC&S are in great shape... especially my
> oldest ones. (...) (Well, actually, this story wasn't so bad by
> any standards, I s'pose.)

RHAAAAH! Why wasn't *I* born in the 50s?

> right now they [Gladstone] are reprinting my old
> stories (with much ballyhoo) and I receive no royalties (..)

But they DO pay you for your covers and articles on Lo$, don't they?
If only a very small amount; at least that indicates they are WILLING to
reward a good artist...

And I thought your trips to Europe were a kind of reward, too. If the
editors can't pay you more for your Disney work because Disney won't let
them, they can pay you in the form of trips.

But this was what I was thinking before your comments, and I thought then
that you were the ONLY American comics artist that made European visits...

BTW: you once asked if these situations (artists not getting the licenses
of their products) occur outside the Disney comics world. In fact, they do.
In several European countries, they have people make stories on exactly
the same basis the Disney editors do. In Belgium, the Tintin and Suske&Wiske
(Bob&Bobette) stories were/are (partly) made by anonymous studio artists.
In England and Holland, they have studio artists make comic stories (like
Tom Poes, Sjors&Sjimmie). In fact, sometimes the same studios that make
the Disney stories for GP and Egmont.

> Erlangen (which I thought was a suburb or Nuremberg?)

I didn't know that. But you mentioned Frankfurt as well. I suppose you'll
be landing on the Frankfurt airport. Will you be doing anything else in
that city?

> Now, don't you think this all gets increasingly frustrating for me?

Yes, I do...

--Harry.