Disney-comics digest #293.

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Fri Apr 8 10:06:20 CEST 1994

"I'm sure I'm not reading you correctly, since I know you know
your stuff. But you're not suggesting that there's any question that
"Speedy" was originally Donald, right? You knew that he was Donald until
Barks was told to redraw the art, right?", Don asked me.

Of course! That was what I what I meant to say, ALONG with the fact that there
is no absolute INTERNAL evidence in the story, as I recall it, that this so --
I particularly DON'T find the Gladstone Gander-reference conclusive, as David
seemed to -- but I do NOT argue with the FACT that Donald was replaced by
Speedy, because Barks was told to; I was just being 'noxious to David (naughty
me! For shame!)

"The first word I heard about my Swedish trip was from Daniel
Atterbom, not anyone at Egmont. Can you guess that this is one MORE bit
of irritation... that Egmont was so sure I'd come that they were
announcing it before they even asked me?!?!"

Don -- have you considered asking either or BOTH Egmont and/or Daniel
Atterbom/Seriefr{mjandet and/or Sture Hegerfors/Svenska Serieakademien for a
FEE, apart from all-expenses-paid (which, at least, I dearly hope they pay
for)? I mean -- to the con-arrangers (Atterbom and/or Hegerfors) you ARE a
rather valuable piece of attraction, that should be worth something, even
though they're on small budgets -- and at LEAST Daniel should be able to/have
the decency to grasp that a week of work is a week of work, and that you have a
hard time losing that income.

And if you do publicity stunts for Egmont at those fairs, like staying in their
exhibition boot, or signing things for "their" customers, or such -- that, too,
should be reimbursed!

All my best!

Mattias