From RoC

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen lrn at daimi.aau.dk
Fri Apr 8 10:18:26 CEST 1994

Digest #288:

Mark posted a preview on the April releases.  Do they really sell in April?
Last I heard, the 60 years issue (DD #286) was scheduled for June.
I'm kinda looking forward to it, but usually I must wait a couple of weeks
more before my issue arrives from Fantask in Copenhagen. Sigh.

Digest #290:

James about William van Horn's "Magica's Missin' Magic":

>How did the story end when translated into other languages? **SPOILER**
>In the english version the bug is singing "Brother Can You Spare A
>Dime?".  It is a good joke but it relies on a song which I doubt would
>be familar to most Europeans.  Likewise since the song is from the
>depression era, I wonder how many children reading the story got the
>joke.

The Danish translator Niels S"ondergaard has great fun with van Horn's
stories.  Here's his version reverse-translated:
"You probably won't believe this, but it's a cockroach singing:
'I'm bust and havin' a hard time, so gimme a dime.'"
I don't seem to recall ever hearing those lyrics in any language though.

Digest #282:

Mikko about 'giant sized' Finnish issue:

>Finnish 'K94-13' is different. It has 36 pages (normal is 32
>including covers.)
>
>It has a feature of making of the Disney cartoon with lots of cats
>in it. (Aristocats?). Plus two full-page scenes from the movie.
>
>Comic stories are:
>
>DD D92325
>BB D93090
>DD WR/WDC 151 A
>MM D92399
>
>So, no Van Horns here.

Finnish issues take almost two weeks to reach me here in Denmark, so the
latest I've seen is #12, but I'll bet the van Horn (D 93052) is in issue
#14 along with D 91314, D 92542 and D92399. And that'll take all 31 pages.
(I won't renew my subscription on Aku Ankka, it's too predictable!)
Al Hubbard's adaption of Aristocats also hit #13 as supplementary issue
in both Norway and Denmark to coincide with it's reopening in theatres.

Digest #291:

Harry about... something.

>But they COULD (re)print some very good Bad Wolf stories from Holland in WDC!
>Dick Matena and Wilbert Plijnaar did some excellent stories in 1976 and
>1977. With the help of Daan Jippes. The stories certainly deserve a reprint!

I bought two albums by Matena, about a viking called Grote Pyr (what's a pyr?)
They are almost twenty years old too, but very unlike the Wolf stories.
Please update your DUTCH-INDEX on lysator, Harry, now that we're TWO people
reading the Dutch books!

And if the money-bin discussion is waning, here's our next topic:
What happened to Lil' Bad Wolf's mother... not to mention his two brothers!?

<oLe 'RoC' Reichstein Nielsen, c/o Lasse 'Spot' R.N. (lrn at daimi.aau.dk)>