Matena and Wolves

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Fri Apr 8 13:27:44 CEST 1994

Ole (ah! You're still there) about... something.

> I bought two albums by Matena [who also did a lot of Dutch Wolf sories],
> about a viking called Grote Pyr (what's a pyr?)

Pyr is the Frisian abbreviation of 'Peter' (like the Swedish 'Per' 8-)
So "Grote Pyr" could be translated with "Big Pete"...

> They are almost twenty years old too, but very unlike the Wolf stories.

Somewhere in the 70s, Matena changed his drawing style, not only in
his Disney work. BTW: only a few of his EARLY Bad Wolf stories are very
good. The countless stories he did later are at most average.

> Please update your DUTCH-INDEX on lysator, Harry, now that we're TWO people
> reading the Dutch books!

I'll send Per a new version. I update my own copy constantly.

> What happened to Lil' Bad Wolf's mother... not to mention his two brothers!?

I don't think the three mean wolves from the Silly Symphony are brothers of
our Li'l Wolf, let alone that he is one of them.
And his mother went on a vacation with the mother of Donald's nephews, the
mother of Daisy's nieces, the mother of Morty and Ferdie and some other
mothers of Disney comics characters...

--Harry.